Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Whiting & Davis CO. 1940's Bag

On the weekends my husband and I like to scope out estate sales.  We came across a sale on the last day, so everything was 75% off.  There were many beautiful things, but this in particular caught my eye.  It's a Whiting & Davis mesh bag from the 1940's.  It is in mint condition and absolutely to die for. 

Model 2849


I collect Whiting & Davis costume jewelry and I have always wanted to get my hands on a Whiting & Davis vintage bag.  They are hard to come by in good condition.  It is also difficult to get a good price since they are so desirable.  I contacted the Whiting & Davis regarding the time period and value of the purse and this is the response I received

Dear Jennifer,

We only took over designing and manufacturing the Whiting & Davis line since 1999, so we are not really experts on older or antique styles.

If you would like to learn more about antique Whiting & Davis bags, we would recommend looking in the following books:

*    More Beautiful Purses by Evelyn Haertig, Gallery Graphics Press
*    Vanity Bags & Purses by Roselyn Gerson, Collector Books
*    Handbags by Roseann Ettinger, Schiffer Publishing Ltd.
*    Whiting & Davis Purses by Leslie Pina & Donald-Brian Johnson, Schiffer Publishing Ltd.
*    Popular Purses: It's in the Bag! by Leslie Pina & Donald-Brian Johnson, Schiffer Publishing Ltd.

For an idea of the value of your item, we recommend searching for similar Whiting & Davis pieces that may be offered for sale on e-Bay. However, for a true appraisal, you would need to visit a qualified expert -- probably a local antique dealer.

To see current Whiting & Davis styles, visit our website at www.whitinganddavisbags.com

Sincerely,
Whiting & Davis Customer Service



I have yet to look into this any further, but in the mean time I am taking very good care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment