Thursday, January 15, 2015

Pyrex: Tips from Grandma

Over the last few years I have developed a very modest collection of Pyrex.  The pieces in my collection have been gifts from family and friends.  My grandma always has used Pyrex and still does to this day.  Many of her pieces are in mint condition and she has used them since the time they were new.  I think the reason her collection is so pristine is due to the fact that she doesn't and never has owned a dish washer.  My grandmother also only uses dish rags and cloth pot holders.  These facts lead me to my tips make these two very basic tips about caring for Pyrex:
  1. Do not put Pyrex in the dishwasher. My grandma always washes her dishes with a mild dish soap and cotton dish rags.
  2. Don't put hot Pyrex on a cold surface.  Some Pyrex can shatter once making contact with metal or cold surfaces.  It is best to use cloth pot holders to cool of dishes straight out of the oven.  
Art Deco Pyrex Advert
Since many of us are now buying Pyrex second hand often times there are scuffs, price tags or tape that needs to be removed before using.  My husband and I have learned a few tricks to remove these without causing any damage to the color or design of Pyrex.  I have listed these tricks below:
  1. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers or Goo gone are great for gently removing any scuffs or icky residue. Use these products with caution.
  2. Use a blow dryer on a low setting and gently heat tape or price tags before removing.  Warming them up will make it easier to remove without damaging color. 
  3. Don't be afraid to use your Pyrex.  Pyrex is great for cooking and often times I see people not using their Pyrex in fear that something may happen to it, but with proper care you can use your vintage Pyrex for years and years to come.
My grandmas collection consists of a variety of patterns and so does mine.  Here are are few pictures of my personal Pyrex collection.
Pink Daisy Cinderella oval divided serving dishes & Pink Flamingo pie plate
Green Wheat casserole dish
Red refrigerator dishes
Summer Impressions mugs and brown refrigerator dish
For more information about Pyrex check out pyrexlove.com.  It's a great resource for identifying Pyrex pieces and has tons of useful tips for collecting and caring for Pyrex.




No comments:

Post a Comment